Financial Aid & Fellowships

There are many ways to pay for your education. Students use a combination of fellowships, part-time jobs, parent or spouse contributions, grants, and federal loans to pay for their education at the IU School of Optometry. Most students find they need to take federal loans to finance their optometry degree.

General financial aid information

The first step that all students must take to receive any type of financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

When you complete the FAFSA, request that the information be sent to IU Bloomington at School Code 001809. Apply between January 1 and March 1 each year for the academic year beginning in that fall. The March 1 date is an actual deadline for Indiana state grants and a priority date for other types of federal aid. If you file after March 1, you will still be considered for Pell Grant and Federal Direct Loans, but you may miss out on other valuable financial aid opportunities.

The IU Office of Student Financial Assistance is located at

408 N. Union Street
Bloomington, IN 47408
Phone: 812-855-0321
Fax: 812855-7615

Please contact Associate Director Josie Gingrich at with your specific questions on filing your FAFSA.

Lifetime learning tax credit

This tax credit is equal to 20 percent of a family’s tuition expenses, up to $10,000 for virtually any postsecondary education and training, including graduate and professional schools. For more information, please call 800-829-3676, go to the IRS website, or see your tax professional.

International student funding

Students who are not U.S. citizens have funding options available. Visit the IU Office of International Services for more information.