Victor E. Malinovsky
Clinical Professor Emeritus of Optometry
- B.S. Optometry–1971 (Indiana University)
- O.D.–1973 (Indiana University)
V 644 Ocular Disease 1
V 745 Ocular Disease 2
V 749 Applied Ocular Therapeutics
Dr. Victor Malinovsky is a graduate of the Indiana University School of Optometry, with a Bachelor of Science in Optometry in 1971 and his Optometry degree in 1973. After graduation he served three years as a naval optometrist. After leaving the Navy, he spent three years as a clinical instructor at The Ohio State School of Optometry and owned a private practice. In 1979 he became a full-time faculty member at Ferris State University School of Optometry in Big Rapids, Michigan. During his 10 years at Ferris State University he became a full professor of optometry. He taught courses in all areas of ocular disease and was chief of the Ocular Disease Service. In 1987 he returned to his alma mater, Indiana University School of Optometry, as a clinical associate professor. He served as an associate dean for clinics for six years. He was promoted to full clinical professor in 2001. His areas of didactic and clinical expertise are ocular diseases and he is coordinator for the ocular disease courses at the school. He also served as chief of the Ophthalmic Disease Service and specializes in diagnosis and management of glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy. He lectures extensively in continuing education courses in many different areas of ocular disease. He has served on a number of national optometric committees and has been the chairperson of the Ellerbrock Continuing Education Program of the American Academy of Optometry.
Dr. Malinovsky has been voted 16 times as 3rd-year teacher of the year at the school and received three TERA awards for his teaching excellence by the faculty. He has received the coveted President’s Award at Indiana University for teaching excellence and the American Optometric Foundation’s Michael G. Harris Family Award for Excellence in Optometric Education.
- Malinovsky VE. Clinical implications of the article "Soft contact lens care system alternatives." International Contact Lens Clinic Jan/Feb 1981; pg 15.
- Malinovsky VE. Clinical implications of the article "A chlorhexidine-free chemical regimen for hydrophilic contact lenses." International Contact Lens Clinic Jan/Feb 1982; pg 16.
- Malinovsky VE. Herpes simplex. Optometric Monthly; Feb 1982; 73(2):98-102.
- Malinovsky VE. Clinical implications of the article "Severe thimerosal hypersensitivity in soft contact lens wearers." International Contact Lens Care Clinic, Sept/Oct 1982, pg 329.
- Malinovsky VE. Glaucomatocyclitic crisis. Journal of the American Optometric Association Dec 1983; 54(12).
- Malinovsky VE. Clinical implication of the article: Lowther GE, Hill J, Kame RT, et al. Evaluation of a thimerosal-free eye drop. Contact Lens Forum; Feb 1984, pg 93-100.
- Malinovsky VE, Pole J. Acute dellen of the cornea secondary to rigid contact lens wear. International Contact Lens Clinic, Spring 1984.
- Pole J, Malinovsky VE. Conjunctival Cyst with Chlorhexidine Sensitivity. International Contact Lens Clinic 1987 14(2):78.
- Malinovsky VE. Benign essential blepharospasm-A review and case report. Journal of the American Optometric Association; Oct 1987.
- Lowther GE (ed.), Malinovsky VE (assoc. ed.). Dry eye: A clinical overview. Monograph published by Frank J. Corbitt, Inc., 211 E. Chicago Ave., Chicago, Illinois, for Alcon Laboratories, 1988.
- Malinovsky VE, Pole J, Pence N, et al. Epithelial splits of the superior cornea in hydrogel contact lens patients. International Contact Lens Clinic, Sept/Oct 1989; 16(9&10):252-254.
- Malinovsky VE. Recurrent epithelial erosions. In: Onofrey B (ed.), Optometric Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Lippincott, 1991. (Chapter updated in 1994.)
- Harris A, Malinovsky VE, Martin B. Ocular hypotension during short and long-term hypocapnia. J Glaucoma. 3:226-231, 1994.
- Harris A, Malinovsky VE, Cantor LB, et al. Isocapnia blocks exercise-induced reductions in ocular tension. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science; Jun 1992; 33(7):2229-2232.
- Tonekaboni K, Malinovsky V, Matthews D. Juxtafoveolar retinal telangiectases. Southern Journal of Optometry Spring 1992; X(2):8-12
- Grosvenor T, Malinovsky VE, Gelvin JB, et al. Diagnosis and management of temporal arteritis: A review and case report. Optometry and Vision Science 1993; 70(9):771-777.
- Malinovsky, VE. Vitamin supplementation for disease prevention: Myth or reality? Focus on Health, Indiana Optometric Association, Nov 1993; 2(4).
- Cavallerano J, Malinovsky V. AOA General Guidelines for the Management of Diabetic Retinopathy. June 1994.
- Harris A, Malinovsky VE, Martin BJ. Correlates of acute exercise-induced ocular hypotension. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science Oct 1994, Vol 35, No 11:3852-3857.
- Malinovsky VE. Clinical Practice Guideline: The Comprehensive Adult Eye Examination. Indiana Optometric Association, 1994.
- Malinovsky VE. An overview of the Heidelberg retina tomograph. Journal of the American Optometric Association 1996; 67(8):459-467.
- Martin B, Harris A, Hammel T, Malinovksy VE. Mechanism of exercise - induced ocular hypotension. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 40:1011-1015, 1999.
- Brucculeri M, Hammel T, Harris A, Malinovsky V, Martin B. Regulation of intraocular pressure after water drinking. J Glaucoma 8:111-116, 1999.
- Chung, Ciulla, Harris, Danis, Malinovsky, Soni, Hagemann, Pratt, Martin. The role of ocular perfusion in age - related macular degeneration. Progress in Retina and Eye Research.(Submitted)1998
- Marshall E, Malinovsky VE. Hypertension and the Eye: Applications of the Sixth Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Protection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNCVI); J Am Optom Assoc 1998; 69(5),
- Malinovsky VE. To be dilated or not to be dilated can this still be a question? Indiana Journal of Optometry, 1998 1 (1).
- Malinovsky VE. Throw Away Your Glaucoma Medications and Jump on the Exercise Bike: Not Really! Indiana Journal of Optometry 1998; 1(1).
- Malinovsky VE. Oral acyclovir reported to prevent recurrence of ocular herpes. Indiana Journal of Optometry, 1999. p.12.
- Malinovsky VE. Tight Control in Type 2 Diabetes: Does It Make a Difference? Indiana Journal of Optometry, 1999. p.31.
- Malinovsky VE: The Latest Chapter on Prostaglandin Analogues sponsored by Alcon Labs: Quest Panelist, A Supplement to Optometric Management, 2001
- Ciulla Thomas A., Danis Ronald P., Klein Susan B., Malinovsky VE, Soni P. Sarita, Pratt Linda M., Pugh Newell O., Morphis James G., Bloch Charles, Cameron John, Proton Therapy for Exudative Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A Randomized, Shame Controlled Clinical Trial, J Am J Ophthalmol, 2002; 134(6): 905-6.
- Allen,V, Malinovsky V. Management of Neurotrophic Keratopathy: Contact Lens & Anterior Eye. 2003; 26:161-165.
- Malinovsky Victor E. Tonekaboni Khashayar. Revisiting the Exfoliation Syndrome: Clinical & Refractive Optometry, Nov 2003, p. 301-309.
- Victor Malinovsky, OD. Glaucoma and Retina Highlights from the American Academy of Ophthalmology November 2003 Meeting: Indiana Journal of Optometry, Spring 2004.
- Mowl A, Grogg JA, Malinovsky V. Near Infrared Imaging of Diabetic Retinopathy. American Academy of Optometry, 2006
- VanNasdale DA, Elsner AE, Horner DG, Malinovsky VE, Haggerty BP, Page J. Retinal pathology in a Hispanic population imaged using scanning laser tomography. American Academy of Optometry, 2006.
- Viswanathan S, Weber AJ, Malinovsky VE, Harman CD. Objective technique of estimating retinal ganglion cell function – validation in a feline model of optic nerve degeneration. Optom Vis Sci 2006;83:E-abstract 060053
- Siesky B, Harris A, Rechtman E, Catoria Y, Yung CW, Malinovsky VE, McCranor L, Zalish M. A comparative analysis of the effects of Cosopt versus Xalatan plus Timoptic on ocular hemodynamics and visual function in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma. Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2006; 22(5):353-61.
- Harrison W, Viswanathan S, Malinovsky V. Multifocal pattern electroretnogram (mPERG): cellular origins and clinical implications. Optom Vis Sci 2006; 83:473-485.
- Siesky B, Harris A, Sines D, Rechtman E, Malinovsky VE, McCranor L, Yung CW, Zalish M. A comparative analysis of the effects of the fixed combination of timolol and dorzolamide versus latanoprost plus timolol on ocular hemodynamics and visual function in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 2006; 22(5):353-61.
- Kohne KD, Malinovsky VE, Gao H. Solitary idiopathic choroiditis. Optometry. 2007 Apr;78(4):176-80.
Dr. Malinovsky has conducted research in age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, diabetes, and dry eyes. Dr. Malinovsky is presently a co-investigator on Dr. William Swanson NEI grant (Application of Psychophysical Models to Visual Disorders).