Dr. Arthur Bradley divides his time between running a visual optics research lab and teaching in the professional Doctor of Optometry program, the Ph.D. in Vision Science program, and an Introduction to Vision Science undergraduate class. His interests are centered around visual perception, and the impact of the eye’s optics on visual function.
Current research has examined the effect of novel contact lens designs on presbyopic vision, the functional consequences of interocular differences in optical quality, and the determination of spherical refractive error in aberrated eyes.
Dr. Bradley is a consultant for the contact lens and IOL industries as well as NIH, FDA, USDOD, NSF and others. He is actively involved as journal referee, topical editor or editorial board member for most journals in Visual Optics, Optometry, and Ophthalmology.
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley (1983)
- The Miracle of Sight (V 250)
- Integrative Optometry (V 501)
- Visual Optics (V 521)
- Clinical Sciences I (V 550)
- Vision Science I: Perception (V 560)
- Advanced Optics, Refractive Surgery (V 632)
- Binocular Vision (V 666)
- Special topics, including Binocular Vision, Visual Optics, Visual Psychophysics (V 768)
Dr. Bradley’s current research has examined the effect of novel contact lens designs on presbyopic vision, the functional consequences of interocular differences in optical quality, and the determination of spherical refractive error in aberrated eyes.
- Xu, R., Gil, D., Dibas, M., Hare, W., & Bradley, A. (2016). The Effect of Light Level and Small Pupils on Presbyopic Reading PerformanceImpact of Small Pupils on Reading. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 57(13), 5656-5664.
- Xu, R., Wang, H., Jiang, F., Xue, C., Huang, Z., & Bradley, A. (2016). Can Down-gaze During Near Work Cause Peripheral Deprivation in Asian Eyes?. Optometry & Vision Science, 93(12), 1513-1524.
- Xu R, Thibos L, Bradley A. (2016) Effect of Target Luminance on Optimum Pupil Diameter for Presbyopic Eyes. Optom Vis Sci. Aug 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ravikumar, S, Bradley, A, Bharadwaj, S and Thibos, LN, (2016) Expanding binocular depth of focus by combining monovision with diffractive bifocal intraocular lenses, JCRS, September, p1288–1296.
- Michael O. Wilkinson, Roger S. Anderson, Arthur Bradley, and Larry N. Thibos (2015) Neural Bandwidth of Veridical Perception Across the Visual Field, JOV: 16 (2) doi: 10.1167/16.2.1.
- Wu Z, Begley CG, Port N, Bradley A, Braun R, King-Smith E. The Effects of Increasing Ocular Surface Stimulation on Blinking and Tear Secretion. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2015;56:4211-20.
- Bernal-Molina, P, Castjon-Mochon, J, Bradley, A, Lopez-Gil, N (2015) Focus correction in an apodized system with spherical aberration, JOSA A, 32(8).
- Renfeng Xu* and Arthur Bradley (2015) IURead: a new computer-based reading test, Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, Volume 35, Issue 5, pages 500–513
- Xu, R, Bradley, A, Lopez-Gil, N and Thibos, L, 2014 Modeling the effects of Secondary Spherical Aberration On Refractive Error, Image Quality and Depth of Focus, Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2015 Jan;35(1):28-38.
- Cheney, F, Thibos L, and Bradley A, 2014, Effect of Ocular Transverse Chromatic Aberration on Detection Acuity for Peripheral Vision, Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2015 Jan;35(1):70-80.
- Coe, C., Bradley A, and Thibos L, Polychromatic Refractive Error from Monochromatic Wavefront Aberrometry, 2014, Optom Vision Sci, 91, 1167-74.
- Ravikumar, S, Bradley, A, and Thibos, LN, Chromatic aberration and polychromatic image quality with diffractive multifocal intra-ocular lenses, 2014, J Cat Refract Surg 40 (7):1192-1204.
- Bradley A, Nam J, Xu R, Harman L, Thibos L. Impact of contact lens zone geometry and ocular optics on bifocal retinal image quality. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2014 May;34(3):331-45.
- Bradley A, Barrett BT, Saunders KJ. Linking binocular vision neuroscience with clinical practice. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2014 Mar;34(2):125-8.
- Bradley, A, Xu, R, Thibos, LN, Marin, G, Hernandez, M,. Influence of spherical aberration, stimulus spatial frequency, and pupil apodization on subjective refractions, Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2014 May;34(3):309-20.
- López-Gil N, Martin J, Liu T, Bradley A, Díaz-Muñoz D, Thibos LN. Retinal image quality during accommodation. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2013 Jul;33(4):497-507.
- Thibos LN, Bradley A, Liu T, López-Gil N. Spherical aberration and the sign of defocus. Optom Vis Sci. 2013 Nov;90(11):1284-91
- Barrett, B, Bradley, A, and Candy, 2013, The relationship between anisometropia and amblyopia, Progress in Retinal and Eye Research, Sep;36:120-58.
- Kollbaum, P, Bradley, A, and Thibos, LN, 2013 Comparing the optical properties of soft contact lenses on and off the eye, Optom and Vision Sci, Sep;90(9):924-36.
- López-Gil N, Martin J, Liu T, Bradley A, Díaz-Muñoz D, Thibos LN. Retinal image quality during accommodation. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2013, Jul;33(4):497-507.
- López-Gil N, Bradley A. The potential for and challenges of spherical and chromatic aberration correction with new IOL designs. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013 Jun;97(6):677-8.
- Xu, R, Bradley, A and Thibos LN (2013) Impact of Primary Spherical Aberration, Spatial Frequency and Stiles Crawford Apodization on Wavefront determined Refractive Error: A Computational Study, Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2013 Jul;33(4):444-55
- Thibos LN, Bradley A, López-Gil N. (2013) Modeling the impact of spherical aberration on accommodation. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 33, 482-96.
- Begley C, Simpson T, Liu H, Salvo E, Wu Z, Bradley A, Situ P. Quantitative analysis of tear film fluorescence and discomfort during tear film instability and thinning. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013 Apr 12;54(4)
- Himebaugh NL, Nam J, Bradley A, Liu H, Thibos LN, Begley CG. Scale and spatial distribution of aberrations associated with tear breakup. Optom Vis Sci. 2012 Nov;89(11):1590-600.
- Martin J, Vasudevan B, Himebaugh N, Bradley A, Thibos L. Unbiased estimation of refractive state of aberrated eyes. Vision Res. 2011 Sep 1;51(17):1932-40.
- Nam J, Thibos LN, Bradley A, Himebaugh N, Liu H. Forward light scatter analysis of the eye in a spatially-resolved double-pass optical system. Opt Express. 2011 Apr 11;19(8):7417-38.
- Ravikumar S, Bradley A, Thibos L. Phase changes induced by optical aberrations degrade letter and face acuity. J Vis. 2010 Dec 16;10(14):18.
- Sawides L, Marcos S, Ravikumar S, Thibos L, Bradley A, Webster M. Adaptation to astigmatic blur. J Vis. 2010 Oct 18;10(12):22. Print 2010.
- Liu H, Thibos L, Begley CG, Bradley A. Measurement of the time course of optical quality and visual deterioration during tear break-up. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010 Jun;51(6):3318-26.