Edwin C. Marshall, OD, MS, MPH, FAAO, FNAP, is Indiana University professor emeritus of optometry and public health. Dr. Marshall is a past IU vice president for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs. Prior to being named an IU vice president, he was the associate dean for Academic Affairs and Student Administration at the IU School of Optometry.
Dr. Marshall has served as chair of the National Commission on Vision and Health, chair of the Executive Board and vice president (USA) of the American Public Health Association, and chair of The Nation’s Health Editorial Advisory Committee. He is a past president of the National Optometric Association, the Indiana Optometric Association, and the Indiana Public Health Association. He also served as a United States Public Health Service Primary Care Policy Fellow and was the founding chair of the Minority Health Advisory Committee at the Indiana State Department of Health. He was a member of the Indiana Health Care Professional Development Commission, the Indiana Interagency State Council on Black and Minority Health, the National Eye Institute’s National Eye Health Education Program Planning Committee and the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine Committee on Public Health Approaches to Reduce Vision Impairment and Promote Eye Health.
Dr. Marshall is a Distinguished Practitioner and Fellow of the National Academies of Practice and a Diplomate in Public Health and Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry. He is a recipient of the Tony and Mary Hulman Health Achievement Award in Public Health and Preventive Medicine from the Indiana Public Health Foundation, the Indiana State Health Commissioner Award for Excellence in Public Health, the Distinguished Service Award from the Vision Care Section of the American Public Health Association, the Distinguished Hoosier Award from the Office of the Governor, and the Carel C. Koch Memorial Medal from the American Academy of Optometry.
Dr. Marshall was named the Indiana Optometrist of the Year by the Indiana Optometric Association and the National Optometrist of the Year by both the National Optometric Association and the American Optometric Association. He was honored by the Indiana Optometric Association with the Indiana Optometry Lifetime Achievement Award and by Indiana University with the President’s Medal for Excellence, the School of Public Health-Bloomington Founding Dean’s Medallion, the Bicentennial Medal, and the Indiana University Distinguished Alumni Service Award. In 2009, Dr. Marshall was inducted into the National Optometry Hall of Fame.
- Bachelor of Arts, Indiana University (1968)
- Bachelor of Science, Indiana Univeresity (1970)
- Doctor of Optometry, Indiana University (1971)
- Master of Science, Indiana University (1979)
- Master of Public Health, University of North Carolina (1982)
- Marshall EC. Justice and disparity – A defining cause for diversity, equity and inclusion in optometric education and practice. Optometric Education 2022; 47(3):19-31
- Marshall EC. The Hofstetter Effect – A vision in world optometry. Hindsight: Journal of Optometry History 2019; 50(2):35-40.
- Todd J, Whitson HE, Marshall EC. Eye and vision health for tomorrow – From recommendations to coordinated action. JAMA Ophthalmology 2019; 137(2):208-211.
- Marshall EC. The path to cultural competence in optometric education and practice: A timeline to multicultural clinical excellence. Optometric Education 2017; 43(1):28-38.
- Teutsch S, Varma R, Marshall E. Epidemiology a major focus of a new National Academies Report. Ophthalmic Epidemiology 2017; 24(4):209-210.
- Marshall EC, Meetz RE, Harmon LL. Through our children’s eyes – The public health impact of the vision screening requirements for Indiana school children. Optometry 2010; 81(2):71-82.
- Harris T, Marshall EC. Ocular syphilis associated with syphilitic resurgence in a human immunodeficiency virus-infected man. Optometry – Journal of the American Optometric Association 2008; 79:687-691.
- Marshall EC. The Not So Great American Truths – The Reality of Social Injustice and the Colorization of Health. Jeffrey and Joyce Myers Lecture, College of Optometry, The Ohio State University, 2020.
- Marshall EC. Eye and Vision Health Equity: Emerging Sight – Vision and the Young Child. Focus on Eye Health National Summit, Prevent Blindness, Washington, DC, 2019.
- Teutsch S, Marshall E, Coleman A. Making Eye Health a Population Health Imperative: Vision for Tomorrow. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Washington, DC, 2016.
- Marshall EC. The Public Health Importance of Eye and Vision Care in the Caribbean. Trinidad and Tobago Optometrists Association, Caribbean Optometrists Association, and the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, 2010.
- Marshall EC. Cultural Competency as an International Imperative for Optometric Education. World Congress on Optometric Education, Durban, South Africa, 2010.